Friday, February 22, 2013

On Finding Inspiration.


I looked for inspiration and when I found it, it looked annoyed.
“What do you want from me?” Inspiration said.
“The usual,” I said. “You know, what everyone wants.”
“Everyone wants something different,” Inspiration said.
“Okay,” I said. “Give me something sad.”
“Something sad? I can do that.”
Inspiration changed into the shape of my old dog. She wagged her tail at me the way she used to when I came home from school. I thought of the last time I saw her and felt sick.
“That’s too sad,” I said. 
Inspiration changed back.
“You want something happier?”
“Happy is boring,” I said. “Give me something different.” Then I had a thought. “Show me what inspires you.”
“What inspires me…”
Inspiration changed into a scene. A quiet morning, or maybe it was night, one small lamp glowing on a desk, and a person writing in a notebook.
I watched the scene for a moment. The person wiped their eyes, drank from a cup, and continued to write.
“What is it?” I asked the tableau.
“It’s Dedication,” Inspiration said. “It’s Discipline. It’s you.”